On 07/25/2011 10:31 PM, Jerry Sievers wrote:
Hackers;

I just noticed that somewhere between 8.2 and 8.4, an exception is
raised trying to alter table ONLY some_partition_parent ADD CHECK
(foo).

I can understand why it makes sense to handle this as an error.

Howeverin practice on a few systems that I used to manage this would
be a problem.

1. I got into the habit of putting CHECK (false) on the parent table
    if it was an always empty base table,

    This is just really documentation indicating that this table can't
    hold rows and of course, having the partition selector trigger
    raise exception if falling through the if/else logic on a new row
    insertion enforces the constraint but is less obvious.

    Ok, so no real problem here.  Just one example.

2. Atypical partitioning implementation where the parent table was for
    initial insert/update of "live" records in an OLTP system with high
    update/insert ratio.  This table was partitioned retroactively in
    such a way transparent to the application.  The app would
    eventually update a row one final time and set a status field to
    some terminal status, at which time we'd fire a trigger to move the
    row down into a partition.  Record expiry took place periodically
    by dropping a partition and creating a new one.

    In that case, imagine the application user runs with
    sql_inheritance to off and so, sees only the live data which
    resulted in a huge performance boost.  Reporting apps and in fact
    all other users ran with sql_inheritance to on as usual and so, see
    all the data.

    Suppose the status field had several non-terminal values and one or
    a few terminal values.  The differing check constraints on parent
    and child tables made it easy to see the intent and I presume with
    constraint_exclusion set to on, let queries on behalf of regular
    users that had specified a non-terminal state visit only the tiny
    parent table.

    Parent might have CHECK (status in (1,2,3)) and children CHECK
    (status = 4).

    I'll assume not many sites are architected this way but #2 here
    shows a more compelling example of why it might be useful to allow
    check constraints added to only a partition parent.

8.4 had this change:

       *

         Force child tables to inherit CHECK constraints from parents
         (Alex Hunsaker, Nikhil Sontakke, Tom)

         Formerly it was possible to drop such a constraint from a
         child table, allowing rows that violate the constraint to be
         visible when scanning the parent table. This was deemed
         inconsistent, as well as contrary to SQL standard.

You're not the only one who occasionally bangs his head against it.

cheers

andrew