Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of jue ago 11 11:50:40 -0400 2011:

> >> I'm against #2, but I could go either way on #1 vs. #3.  If you pick
> >> #3, would you also change the column options to be displayed that way,
> >> or would we end up with table and column options displayed
> >> differently?
> >
> > I'd like to pick #3, and also change per-column options format.  In
> > addition, I'd like to change options format for other FDW objects such
> > as wrappers, servers and user mappings for consistency.  Of course, only
> > if it's acceptable to break backward compatibility...
>
> I think it's fine to change the display format.  We haven't had these
> features for very long, so users hopefully shouldn't be expecting that
> everything is set in stone.  We have made far bigger changes to
> backslash commands that have been around for far longer (\df, I'm
> looking at you).

We've never promised that backslash commands behave identically across
releases.  I think they are more for human consumption than machine, so
why would we care about changing one of them a bit?

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>