On 08/18/2011 10:12 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
Perhaps a reasonable way to break up the patch would be:
- Part 1: Gather the information and display it in the
log_autovacuum_min_duration output.
- Part 2: Add the ability to see the information incrementally (via
some mechanism yet to be agreed upon).

My reaction to all the suggestions for redesign is just that: pull out the part that does the incremental updates altogether, improve the part that dumps the info into the logs, and resubmit without any incremental progress for now. This is much more valuable to me if the first commit that hits is something I can backport trivially. I'm seeing enough production servers running into this problem right now on earlier versions to be worried about that, and the log dump at the end would be a huge help even if that was all they got. I'm going to add directly computing the write MB/s figure from the dirty data written too, since that ends up being the thing that I keep deriving by hand anyway.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD