----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Momjian" <br...@momjian.us>
To: "Lou Picciano" <loupicci...@comcast.net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers@postgresql.org
Sent: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 10:38:01 PM
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] toast error after pg_upgrade 9.0.4 -> 9.1rc1

Lou Picciano wrote:
> After running an essentially uneventful* pg_upgrade from 9.0.4 ->
> 9.1rc1, we are seeing some toast errors logged on the new cluster:
>
> All are of this pattern: ERROR: missing chunk number 0 for toast value
> 130087 in pg_toast_34735
>
> Have seen the same pattern for a few of the databases in the 9.1rc1
> cluster, and all as a result of a select on a usr table (the offending
> SELECT happens to be the first one any of these DBs sees, as it's the
> first step in a user authentication process). SELECT count(*) does not
> produce an error.
>
> *almost uneventful: We also saw messages that the destination cluster
> did not have one of our schema - (of course it didn't!) - I didn't
> realize pg_upgrade doesn't 'do' schema?

I have fixed two errors in pg_upgrade since 9.1rc1 was released. Can
you use git 9.1 head or wait for 9.1rc2 or 9.1 final? I can email you
patches if you prefer.

--
Bruce Momjian <br...@momjian.us> http://momjian.us
EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

Bruce, many thanks. I've done the recent git pull; yes, will build head from
there and send you the new mileage report.

(Glad your weekend with Irene is finally over - we had a few crises down here
in New York; my fish were swimming in the back yard, lots of flooding, a few
trees down - one of which only prevented from falling on the house by the 16K
volt primary line. Great! But we were luckier than many. )

Lou Picciano