On Fri, 2011-09-02 at 14:51 +0200, PostgreSQL - Hans-Jürgen Schönig
wrote:
> hello …
>
> the goal of the entire proxy thing is to make the right query go to the right
> node / nodes.
> we determine this by using a partitioning function and so on …
> currently PL/proxy has only a handful of commands - one is RUN ON … which
> tells us where to put things.
> assume you issue a select … some select will "fall out" on the target node.
> to restrict the data coming from the node you could add an additional
> constraint on the way …
>
> say:
>       SELECT * FROM proxy_table WHERE a = 20;
>
> what you want to reach the node after a split is …
>
>       SELECT * FROM proxy_table WHERE a = 20 AND col = "filter the wrong half
> away"
>
> my idea is to add an additional command to the PL/proxy command set.
> it should call a function generating this additional filter.
> maybe somehow like that …
>
>       RUN ON hashtext($1)
>                         -- this one already knows about the increased cluster
>       GENERATE FILTER my_create_the_bloody_filter_func($1)    -- this one
> would "massage" the query going to the node.
>
> it would actually open the door for a lot of additional trickery.
> the function would tell the proxy what to append - and: this "what" would be
> under your full control.
>
> what do you think?

Hmm, could work for simplest cases, but this has 2 main problems:

1) you need a full SQL parser to make this generally useful for plain
SQL

and

2) it still won't work for pl/proxy's main usecase - calling the same
_function_ on partition.