On 09/19/2011 10:34 AM, Enrico Pirozzi wrote:
Hi, I'm Enrico,
I wrote a little pg_dump patch,
I have introduced a new option to have a database dump without comments,
no 'COMMENT ON' are written on the dump if my new option is selected.

If this little piece of code can interest somebody, I'll be happy to
share it with the community,

We had a recent discussion about filtering items in pg_dump / pg_restore. My personal feeling is that we should provide filtering of table data ion pg_dump, and pre-data and post-data sections in both, all of which we know there are good and widespread use cases for, but beyond that users should filter using pg_dump -F c and pg_restore --use-list. If we try to build in every kind of filter any user might want we'll just become horribly bloated.

What's the use case for not dumping comments? At first glance it seems a very odd thing to do.

cheers

andrew