On 20 September 2011 05:20, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Mon, Sep 19, 2011 at 10:04 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> We could possibly add a HINT suggesting that the locale isn't installed,
>>> but I don't see that we could offer any useful generic advice about how
>>> to install it.  I'm also worried about how to phrase the hint to cover
>>> some other obvious possibilities, like "you fat-fingered the locale
>>> name".
>
>> Maybe something like this?
>
>> HINT: The operating system was unable to find any locale data for the
>> locale name you specified.
>
> Hmm, that's not bad.  We could probably even call it errdetail, since
> it's not so much a hint as explaining what the SUS spec states that the
> ENOENT error code means here.
>
> In the nitpick department, s/was unable to/could not/ per our usual
> message style guidelines.  Otherwise seems good.

Sounds good to me.  If this is to be the errdetail, does that mean
you'd be keeping the original message in tact?  The problem with the
actual error message is that it might cause the user to think along
the lines of "Am I supposed to put a fully qualified path in this
parameter?".

--
Thom Brown
Twitter: @darkixion