On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 01:53, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> This patch splits bgwriter into 2 processes: checkpointer and
> bgwriter, seeking to avoid contentious changes. Additional changes are
> expected in this release to build upon these changes for both new
> processes, though this patch stands on its own as both a performance
> vehicle and in some ways a refcatoring to simplify the code.

While you're already splitting up bgwriter, could there be any benefit
to spawning a separate bgwriter process for each tablespace?

If your database has one tablespace on a fast I/O system and another
on a slow one, the slow tablespace would also bog down background
writing for the fast tablespace. But I don't know whether that's
really a problem or not.

Regards,
Marti