Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On m?n, 2011-10-03 at 15:09 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Why were people not using pg_ctl?
>
> Actually, a slight correction/addition here: The Debian init script does
> use pg_ctl to start the service.  Seems to work fine.

Yes.  The script authors discovered a working behavior, which matches my
research:

        pg_ctl start            specify config directory
        pg_ctl -w start         impossible
        pg_ctl restart          impossible
        pg_ctl stop             specify real data dir
        pg_ctl -w stop          specify real data dir
        pg_ctl reload           specify real data dir

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us