On 12.10.2011 18:20, Tom Lane wrote:
Heikki Linnakangas<heikki.linnakan...@enterprisedb.com>  writes:
On 12.10.2011 17:33, Magnus Hagander wrote:
How about adding something like
-- \\psql_hates_this
-- rest of comment

and then at least have new versions of psql find that and stop
processing the file with a more useful error at that point? Or maybe
that's overengineering..

Overengineering IMHO. Besides, if a psql poison comment like that
exists, then we'd have to be careful not to emit one elsewhere. Think
pg_dump, if someone puts that comment in a function body...

Well, it can't be a comment, but what about a real psql command?
See my suggestion of using \echo.

Frankly I think a comment is sufficient. We can make it more complicated later if people are still confused.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas