On 10/16/2011 08:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Robert Haas<robertmh...@gmail.com>  writes:
I previously floated the idea of using a new keyword, possibly LET,
for this, like this:
LET var = value [, ...] IN query
I'm not sure if anyone bought it, but I'll run it up the flagpole
again and see if anyone salutes.  I tend to agree with the idea that
SET LOCAL isn't always what you want; per-transaction is not the same
as per-query, and multi-command query strings have funny semantics,
and multiple server round-trips are frequently undesirable; and it
just seems cleaner, at least IMHO.
Well, syntax aside, the real issue here is that GUC doesn't have
any notion of a statement-lifespan setting, and adding one would require
adding per-statement overhead; not to mention possibly adding
considerable logical complexity, depending on exactly what you wanted to
define as a "statement".  I don't think an adequate case has been
made that SET LOCAL is insufficient.

I agree. But if we are going to go there I vastly prefer Robert's suggestion of a separate syntactical structure. Mixing this up with WITH would just be an awful mess, and cause endless confusion.

cheers

andrew