On 19.10.2011 19:17, Tom Lane wrote:
Joachim Wieland<j...@mcknight.de>  writes:
[ synchronized-snapshots patch ]

Looking through this code, it strikes me that SET TRANSACTION SNAPSHOT
is fundamentally incompatible with SERIALIZABLE READ ONLY DEFERRABLE
mode.  That mode assumes that you should be able to just take a new
snapshot, repeatedly, until you get one that's "safe".  With the patch
as written, if the supplied snapshot is "unsafe", GetSafeSnapshot()
will just go into an infinite loop.

AFAICS we should just throw an error if SET TRANSACTION SNAPSHOT is done
in a transaction with those properties.  Has anyone got another
interpretation?  Would it be better to silently ignore the DEFERRABLE
property?

An error seems appropriate to me.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas