On 11/07/2011 09:03 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
I think it's an established principle that the design for features
like this should, for best results, be discussed on -hackers before
writing a lot of code.

You can see from the commit history this idea is less than a month old. Do we need to get community approval before writing a proof of concept now? Everyone would still be arguing about how to get started had that path been taken. If feedback says this needs a full rewrite, fine. We are familiar with how submitting patches works here.