Heikki,

On 17.11.2011 10:19, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
$ postgres --help
Developer options:
  -f s|i|n|m|h    forbid use of some plan types

That doesn't include all the options we support, the documentation lists: s|i|o|b|t|n|m|h. These are aliases for enable_* planner options, e.g -fs is equal to enable_seqscan=off.

That seems completely useless to me, because you can also do "-c enable_seqscan=off". Any objections to removing the -f option altogether?

I knew about it. But - I never needed it and I always scroll over it when I show --help in my trainings.

When I was young - some when in last century - I learned that you never should remove a feature without pre-announcing it as deprecated.

I think it is better to mark it deprecated in 9.2 and totally remove it in 9.3.

Susanne

--
Susanne Ebrecht - 2ndQuadrant
www.2ndQuadrant.com