Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> writes:
> On 12/04/2011 11:41 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Hm, how portable is symlink-reading?  If we can actually do that
>> without big headaches, then +1.

> I wondered that, specifically about Windows junction points, but we seem
> to have support for it already in dirmod.c::pgreadlink(). Surely there's
> no other currently supported platform where it would even be a question?

readlink is required by Single Unix Spec v2 (1997), which is what we've
been treating as our baseline expectation for Unix-oid platforms for
awhile now.  Given that we dealt with the Windows side already, I don't
see a problem with making this assumption.  At worst we'd end up needing
a couple more emulations in src/port, since surely there's *some* way to
do it on any platform with symlinks.