On 12/12/2011 02:59 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut<pete...@gmx.net>  writes:
On lör, 2011-12-10 at 20:26 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
Right now, libpq laboriously rebuilds all the .o files it needs from
src/port/ so as to get them with -fpic.  It would be nice if we could
clean that up while we're doing this.  It might be all right to always
build the client-side version of libpgport with -fpic, though I'd be sad
if that leaked into the server-side build.
So would we continue to build the client binaries (psql, pg_dump, etc.)
against the static libpgport.a, thus keeping it "invisible" there, or
would we dynamically link them, thus creating a new dependency.
I think that if possible we should avoid creating a new dependency for
either the client binaries or libpq.so itself; what I suggest above
is only a simplification of the build process for libpq.  If we create
a new dependency we risk packagers breaking things by forgetting to
include it.

OK, I'll work on this basis. The downside is that we'll be building it but not using it, but I can see the advantages.

cheers

andrew