On 12/13/2011 01:28 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
!<para>
!       Another possibility for this same sort of organization is to create a
!       configuration file directory and put this information into files there.
!       Other programs such as<productname>Apache</productname>  use a
!<filename>conf.d</>  directory for this purpose.  And using numbered names
This specific use of conf.d is a distribution-driven pattern; the upstream
Apache HTTP Server distribution never suggests it directly...

Overall, I'd probably just remove these comparisons to other projects.

I hadn't realized that distinction; will have to look into that some more. Thanks again for the thorough review scrubbings, I can see I have another night of getting cozy with mmgr/README ahead. I've gotten more than a fair share of feedback time for this CF, I'm going to close this patch for now, keep working on it for a bit more, and re-submit later.

My hope with this new section is that readers will realize the flexibility and options possible with the include and include_dir commands, and inspire PostgreSQL users to adopt familiar conventions from other programs if they'd like to. I've made no secret of the fact that I don't like the way most people are led toward inefficiently managing their postgresql.conf files, that I feel the default configurations both encourages bad practices and makes configuration tool authoring a mess. I would really like to suggest some possible alternatives here and get people to consider them, see if any gain adoption. I thought that mentioning the examples are inspired by common setups of other programs, ones that people are likely to be familiar with, enhanced that message. That's not unprecedented; doc/src/sgml/client-auth.sgml draws a similar comparison with Apache in regards to how parts of the pg_hba.conf are configured. No argument here that I need to clean that section up still if I'm going to make this argument though. I didn't expect to throw out 85 new lines of docs and get them perfect the first time.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD