On 12/19/2011 07:50 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 6:10 AM, Simon Riggs<si...@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:
The only sensible way to handle this is to change the page format as
discussed. IMHO the only sensible way that can happen is if we also
support an online upgrade feature. I will take on the online upgrade
feature if others work on the page format issues, but none of this is
possible for 9.2, ISTM.
I'm not sure that I understand the dividing line you are drawing here.

There are three likely steps to reaching checksums:

1) Build a checksum mechanism into the database. This is the straighforward part that multiple people have now done.

2) Rework hint bits to make the torn page problem go away. Checksums go elsewhere? More WAL logging to eliminate the bad situations? Eliminate some types of hint bit writes? It seems every alternative has trade-offs that will require serious performance testing to really validate.

3) Finally tackle in-place upgrades that include a page format change. One basic mechanism was already outlined: a page converter that knows how to handle two page formats, some metadata to track which pages have been converted, a daemon to do background conversions. Simon has some new ideas here too ("online upgrade" involves two clusters kept in sync on different versions, slightly different concept than the current "in-place upgrade"). My recollection is that the in-place page upgrade work was pushed out of the critical path before due to lack of immediate need. It wasn't necessary until a) a working catalog upgrade tool was validated and b) a bite-size feature change to test it on appeared. We have (a) now in pg_upgrade, and CRCs could be (b)--if the hint bit issues are sorted first.

What Simon was saying is that he's got some interest in (3), but wants no part of (2).

I don't know how much time each of these will take. I would expect that (2) and (3) have similar scopes though--many days, possibly a few months, of work--which means they both dwarf (1). The part that's been done is the visible tip of a mostly underwater iceburg.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD