On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 18:15, Simon Riggs <si...@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Magnus Hagander <mag...@hagander.net> wrote:
>> These days we have pause_at_recovery_target, which lets us pause when
>> we reach a PITR target. Is there a particular reason we don't have a
>> way to pause at end of recovery if we *didn't* specify a target -
>> meaning we let it run until the end of the archived log? While it's
>> too late to change the target, I can see a lot of usescases where you
>> don't want it to be possible to make changes to the database again
>> until it has been properly verified - and keeping it up in readonly
>> mode in that case can be quite useful...
>
> Useful for what purpose? It' s possible to deny access in other ways already.

For validating the restore, while allowing easy read-only access.

If you could declare a read-only connection in pg_hba.conf it would
give the same functionality, but you really can't...

I'm not saying it's a big feature. But the way it looks now it seems
to be artificially restricted from a usecase. Or is there a technical
reason why we don't allow it?

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/