On 21.12.2011 17:21, Kevin Grittner wrote:
Also, I'm not sure that our shop would want to dedicate any space
per page for this, since we're comparing between databases to ensure
that values actually match, row by row, during idle time.

4 bytes out of a 8k block is just under 0.05%. I don't think anyone is going to notice the extra disk space consumed by this. There's all those other issues like the hint bits that make this a non-starter, but disk space overhead is not one of them.

INHO we should just advise that you should use a filesystem with CRCs if you want that extra level of safety. It's the hardware's and operating system's job to ensure that data doesn't get corrupt after we hand it over to the OS with write()/fsync().

--
  Heikki Linnakangas