On 12/21/2011 10:49 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
* Leonardo Francalanci (m_li...@yahoo.it) wrote:
I think what I meant was: isn't this going to be useless in a couple
of years (if, say, btrfs will be available)? Or it actually gives
something that FS will never be able to give?
Yes, it will help you find/address bugs in the filesystem.  These things
are not unheard of...

There was a spike in data recovery business here after people started migrating to ext4. New filesystems are no fun to roll out; some bugs will only get shaken out when brave early adopters deploy them.

And there's even more radical changes in btrfs, since it wasn't starting with a fairly robust filesystem as a base. And putting my tin foil hat on, I don't feel real happy about assuming *the* solution for this issue in PostgreSQL is the possibility of a filesystem coming one day when that work is being steered by engineers who work at Oracle.

--
Greg Smith   2ndQuadrant US    g...@2ndquadrant.com   Baltimore, MD