On 01/03/2012 09:11 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

On 01/03/2012 08:40 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 9:33 AM, Pavel Stehule<pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd suppose it interesting to add a table to pg_catalog containing this data.
- it is useless overhead
I tend to agree.

I am expecting so definition some constants in Perl, Python is simple
Presumably one could instead write a script to transform the list of
constants into a .pm file that could be loaded into the background, or
whatever PL/python's equivalent of that concept is.  Not sure if
there's a better way to do it.

Yeah, I'm with you and Pavel. Here's my quick perl one-liner to produce a set of SPI_* constants for pl/perl. I'm looking at the best way to include this in the bootstrap code.

   perl -ne 'BEGIN { print "use constant\n{\n"; } END { print "};\n"; }
   print "\t$1 => $2,\n" if /#define (SPI_\S+)\s+\(?(-?\d+)\)?/;'
   src/include/executor/spi.h

Actually, now I look closer I see that PLPerl passes back a stringified status from SPI_execute(), so there is no great need for setting up these constants. It's probably water under the bridge now, but maybe PLPython should have done this too.

cheers

andrew