On Sun, Jan 22, 2012 at 3:48 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kai...@kaigai.gr.jp> wrote:

> I tried to implement a fdw module that is designed to utilize GPU
> devices to execute
> qualifiers of sequential-scan on foreign tables managed by this module.
>
> It was named PG-Strom, and the following wikipage gives a brief
> overview of this module.
>    http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PGStrom
>
> In our measurement, it achieves about x10 times faster on
> sequential-scan with complex-
> qualifiers, of course, it quite depends on type of workloads.

Very cool. Someone's been busy.

I see you've introduced 3 new features here at same time
* GPU access
* column store
* compiled WHERE clauses

It would be useful to see if we can determine which of those gives the
most benefit and whether other directions emerge.

Also, the query you mention is probably the best performing query you
can come up with. It looks like a GIS query, yet isn't. Would it be
possible to run tests on the TPC-H suite and do a full comparison of
strengths/weaknesses so we can understand the breadth of applicability
of the techniques.

This is a very interesting line of discussion, but please can we hold
off further posts about it until after the CF is over?