Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> writes:
> I looked to sources and I found a some useful routines for people who
> write extensions and probably PL too.

> There are datum_compute_size and datum_write from range_types.c. These
> routines can be used in PL libs and maybe in other places.

> Should be these routines moved to varlena.c and be public?

Why?  It is not common for types to contain other types, and it
certainly isn't likely to happen without needing lots of other
infrastructure --- the existing examples are arrays, records, and
rangetypes, and all of those come with lots of baggage.  And there
are a number of choices in those functions that are pretty specific to
rangetypes, as illustrated by the fact that they're not already sharing
code with either arrays or records.