On 02/13/2012 11:15 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
[ sorry for ignoring this over the weekend --- I wasn't feeling very well ]

Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  writes:
On 02/11/2012 03:22 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
I'm inclined to think that this is auto_explain's error, not that of
the core code, ie we should be changing the output.
Well, maybe this is more to your taste, although it strikes me as more
than something of a kludge. At least it's short :-)
I see you've already committed this, but I agree that it's quite a
kluge.

After looking a bit more at the existing explain code, it seems like the
critical issue is that explain.c has ExplainOpenGroup/ExplainCloseGroup
calls around the ExplainPrintPlan call (see ExplainOnePlan), while
auto_explain does not.  I did not like your originally proposed patch
because it seemed to introduce yet another formatting concept into code
that has already got a few too many.  But couldn't we fix this by
exporting ExplainOpenGroup/ExplainCloseGroup and then calling those from
auto_explain?

Yeah, maybe. We'd still have to do it conditionally (have to use ExplainBeginOutput for the XML case), but it would possibly be less kludgy.

cheers

andrew