On 02/17/2012 11:46 AM, Thom Brown wrote:
On 17 February 2012 16:43, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:

On 02/17/2012 11:29 AM, David E. Wheeler wrote:
On Feb 17, 2012, at 5:22 AM, Thom Brown wrote:

The purpose being to only have a single statement to set up the
trigger rather than setting up a separate trigger function which will
unlikely be re-used by other triggers... or is this of dubious
benefit?
+1, though I imagine it would just give it a generated name and save it
anyway, eh?

Before we rush into this, let's consider all the wrinkles. For example, what
if you need to change the function? And how would you edit the function in
psql? It might be a bit more involved that it seems at first glance,
although my initial reaction was the same as David's.
Why not just...

CREATE OR REPLACE TRIGGER my_trigger...

Maybe that would do it. You might also want a \e command for psql to match it.

cheers

andrew