On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 10:17:04PM +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On ons, 2012-02-29 at 22:47 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Hey, that's a good idea.  I would always write the pg_dump output to a
> > log file.  If the dump succeeds, I remove the file, if not, I tell
> > users to read the log file for details about the failure --- good
> > idea.
>
> But we also need the server log output somewhere.  So I think this temp
> file would need to cover everything that -l covers.

OK, combining your and Robert's ideas, how about I have pg_upgrade write
the server log to a file, and the pg_dump output to a file (with its
stderr), and if pg_upgrade fails, I report the failure and mention those
files.  If pg_upgrade succeeds, I remove the files?  pg_upgrade already
creates temporary files that it removes on completion.

--
  Bruce Momjian  <br...@momjian.us>        http://momjian.us