On 03/03/2012 02:24 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
question: how attached you are to the current return format for CHECK
FUNCTION?

check function f1();
                        CHECK FUNCTION
  In function: 'f1()'
  error:42804:5:assignment:subscripted object is not an array
(2 rows)

It seems to me that it'd be trivial to make it look like this instead:

check function f1();
function | lineno | statement  | sqlstate |              message
| detail | hint | level | position | query
---------+--------+------------+----------+------------------------------------+--------+------+-------+----------+-------
f1()     |      5 | assignment | 42804    | subscripted object is not an array
|        |      | error |          |
(1 row)

This looks much nicer to me.

One thing we lose is the caret marking the position of the error -- but
I'm wondering if that really works well.  I didn't test it but from the
code it looks to me like it'd misbehave if you had a multiline statement.

Opinions?

Well, if you want nicely formated table you can always call the checker function directly, I think the statement returning something that is more human and less machine is more consistent approach with the rest of the utility commands. In other words I don't really see the point of it.

Petr