Robert Haas <robertmh...@gmail.com> writes:
> Considering all the above, this seems like it might be a solution in
> search of a problem.  It's not actually that hard to write code to do
> proper escaping for a *given* encoding and a *given* set of COPY
> options, but trying to write something general sounds like a job and a
> half.

Yeah, it wouldn't be easy.  The other point to keep in mind here is that
one of the key requirements for anything dealing with COPY is that it be
fast.  It seems likely to me that bespoke code for a particular encoding
and set of copy options would outrun something that's general-purpose.
Now maybe people would be happy to use something slower if it meant
they didn't have to write it themselves, but ...