I haven't finished reviewing this yet - but there are some things that need to be fixed.

First, either the creation of the destination directory needs to be delayed until all the sanity checks have passed and we're sure we're actually going to write something there, or it needs to be removed if we error exit before anything gets written there. Example: if there's an error because I am dumping a 9.1 server and so should have specified --no-synchronized-snapshots then getting the directory as a by-product which I need to remove is annoying. Maybe pg_dump -F d should be prepared to accept an empty directory as well as a non-existent directory, just as initdb can. Maybe this isn't directly related to this patch, but I have noticed it more when reviewing this patch.

Second, all the PrintStatus traces are annoying and need to be removed, or perhaps better only output in debugging mode (using ahlog() instead of just printf())

cheers

andrew