On 04/10/2012 09:48 AM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Andrew Dunstan<and...@dunslane.net>  wrote:
I am considering two paths for doing this:
The first one takes the help of the SPI(Server Programming Interface)
and the second one directly connects through Pl/Java and JNI(Java
Native Interface).

I'd say forget SPI - I don't think it's going to help you here. Just
concentrate on getting the functionality via a PL/Java wrapper. I wouldn't
worry too much about jdbc style URLs either, since logically I think you'd
want to specify the connection parameters via server and FDW options as in
my example above - that way it would be consistent with other FDWs. But
that's a piece of bikeshedding for now. Basically, you want to implement the
handler function to start with.
how do you cross from FDW into a pl/java routine without SPI?

Add the FDW handler as a sibling function of the function call handler. At least that would be my first approach to writing a DBI::DBD FDW wrapper for plperl, which I naturally know rather better than the PL/Java code.

cheers

andrew