On 17.04.2012 09:50, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI wrote:
This is new version of the patch.
I replaced GetStandbyFlushRecPtr with GetXLogReplayRecPtr to
check progress of checkpoint following Fujii's sugestion.

The reason we haven't historically obeyed checkpoint_segments during recovery is that it slows down the recovery unnecessarily if you're restoring from a backup and you replay, say, one week's worth of WAL files. If for example you have checkpoint_segments=10 and checkpoint_timeout='15 mins' in the server that generated the WAL, you would be constantly performing a restartpoint if you trigger one every 10 segments.

You could argue that you should obey checkpoint_segments in a standby server that's caught up with the master, but AFAICS the patch doesn't try to detect that.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas