Hi Alexander,

Perhaps I'm too early with these tests, but FWIW I reran my earlier test
program against three
instances.  (the patches compiled fine, and make check was without problem).

-- 3 instances:
HEAD                 port 6542
trgm_regex           port 6547  HEAD + trgm-regexp patch (22 Nov 2011) [1]
trgm_regex_wchar2mb  port 6549  HEAD + trgm-regexp + wchar2mb patch (23 Apr
2012) [2]

[1] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-11/msg01297.php
[2] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-04/msg01095.php

-- table sizes:
  azjunk4  10^4 rows     1 MB
  azjunk5  10^5 rows    11 MB
  azjunk6  10^6 rows   112 MB
  azjunk7  10^7 rows  1116 MB

for table creation/structure, see:
[3] http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2012-01/msg01094.php

Results for three instances with 4 repetitions per instance are attached.

Although the regexes I chose are somewhat arbitrary, it does show some of the
good, the bad and
the ugly of the patch(es).  (Also: I've limited the tests to a range of
'workable' regexps, i.e.
avoiding unbounded regexps)

hth (and thanks, great work!),

Erik Rijkers