On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 7:13 AM, Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
>> (1 row)
>>
>> This works the same indeed, just seems to be a hack, though a cool
>> one :)

Yeah -- the syntax isn't great, but IMO it's more generally usable
than what you're proposing because it's a scalar returning function
not a table expression.  Another point is that the proposed 'like'
syntax (which I still think is great, just maybe not for conversions
from json) seems wedded to record types.  The hstore trick should be
able to take a foo[], set it all up and return it.  How would that
work with like?

> few years back I proposed "anytypename" type
>
> with this feature, you can has some clean and more readable call
>
> SELECT * FROM populate_record(test, ...)

that would be great IMO.

merlin