> Hannu Krosing <ha...@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > On Wed, 2012-05-02 at 12:06 -0700, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> >> So given that do we do anything about this now, or wait till 9.3?
>
> > I'd like the json support in 9.2 updated as follows
>
> I think it's too late to be entertaining proposals for such changes in
> 9.2.  If we had concluded that the existing functions were actively
> wrong or a bad idea,

I think that hard-coding "postgresql text" representation as our json
representation without a possibility for the user tio easily fix it
without rewriting foll xx_to_json() functions is borderline "actively
wrong".

Can we at least have the xxx_to_json() functions try cast to json first
and fall back to text if the cast fails.

This would address my worst problem, all the rest can be easily defined
in user functions.