Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of vie may 11 20:28:28 -0400 2012:
> On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 7:55 PM, Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> > A larger question is whether we should start making pg_shdepend entries
> > for table/index usage of non-default tablespaces, so that you couldn't
> > DROP a tablespace that the catalogs think still has tables/indexes in
> > it.
>
> I'm astonished we don't do that already.  Seems inconsistent with
> other SQL object types - most obviously, schemas - and a potentially
> giant foot-gun.

The original patch did contain tablespace tracking (though I don't
remember considering whether they were default or not), but it got
ripped out because during the subsequent discussion we considered that
it wasn't necessary to keep track of it -- supposedly, whenever you were
going to delete a tablespace, the existing files in the directory would
be sufficient evidence to stop the deletion.  Evidently I failed to
consider the case at hand.

I don't think there's any particular reason we can't put it back.

--
Álvaro Herrera <alvhe...@commandprompt.com>