On 05/24/2012 12:46 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
Well, it's not per spec: what you did accepts queries that are invalid
per spec and are very likely to be errors rather than intentional
invocations of the LATERAL facility.  This might be all right for

I think I saw queries where function is joined with no explicit LATERAL().

Nevertheless...
Quite honestly, I think that something that only handles functions as
LATERAL righthands is broken by design.  It doesn't meet the spec, and
it's unlikely to represent much of a step towards a full implementation.
Remember Polya's Inventor's Paradox: the more general problem may be
easier to solve.
... sounds more serious. I'll keep it in mind if I get the impression that I have a new idea about this problem anytime. Thanks,
Tony H.