On sön, 2012-06-10 at 00:25 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
We already have the ability to configure the Unix socket
directory in
postgresql.conf.  All you need to do is turn that into a list.
That doesn't help libpq using clients.
There is no mandate here to do anything about that.
Well, Martin Pitt/the debian package is patching exactly that. Youre
saying
that everything that needs to be done to make that easier is to make
unix_socket_dir a list. So there seems to be some disparity there ;)

The Debian package doesn't need any change or assistance, really.  You
can change the default location of the socket by patching
pg_config_manual.h, and that's a one-liner.  The only thing that would
make that slightly easier or better is making it a configure option, but
that was intentionally decided against in the old days (not by me).

Since systemd with it's PrivateTmp feature is going to be used in more and more distros, there will probably be a bigger need to solve in-accessible default unix socket directory /tmp in the future.

Thus, I'd like to ask if anybody is aware of any issue connected with simply patching pg_config_manual.h, same as Debian does it already? For example, is there any piece of software, that simply rely on /tmp location of the socket and doesn't use libpg for the communication?

Regards,
Honza