On 16.06.2012 09:04, Amit kapila wrote:
I don't think so.  C doesn't ref count its pointers.
You are right I have misunderstood.

I don't think that lock tags have good human readable formats, and just
a pointer dump probably wouldn't be much use when something that can
never happen has happened.  But I'll at least add a reference to the
resource owner if this stays in.

I have checked in lock.c file for the message where lock tags have been used.
elog(ERROR, "lock %s on object %u/%u/%u is already held",
     lockMethodTable->lockModeNames[lockmode],
     lock->tag.locktag_field1, lock->tag.locktag_field2,
     lock->tag.locktag_field3);

This can give more information about erroneous lock.

A better error message would be nice, but I don't think it's worth that much. resowner.c doesn't currently know about the internals of LOCALLOCk struct or lock tags, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. Let's just print the pointer's address, that's what we do in many other corresponding error messages in other Forget* functions.