On 20.06.2012 22:11, Simon Riggs wrote:
On 21 June 2012 02:56, Simon Riggs<si...@2ndquadrant.com>  wrote:

I think allowing rmgrs to redefine the wasted bytes in the header is
the best idea.

Hmm, I think the best idea is to save 2 bytes off the WAL header for
all records, so there are no wasted bytes on 64bit or 32bit.

That way the potential for use goes away and there's benefit for all,
plus no argument about how to use those bytes in rarer cases.

I'll work on that.

I don't think that's actually necessary, the WAL bloat isn't *that* bad that we need to start shaving bytes from there. I was just trying to make a point.

And then we just put the originid on each heap record for MMR, in some
manner, discussed later.

I reserve the right to object to that, too :-). Others raised the concern that a 16-bit integer is not a very intuitive identifier. Also, as discussed, for more complex scenarios just the originid is not sufficient. ISTM that we need more flexibility.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas