I have this issue on Greenplum which is a MPP hybrid build from
postgres 8.2, and the issue I am seeing is 100% from pg code.

One of the Greenplum segments went down and it cannot recover because
"PANIC  XX000 invalid redo/undo record in shutdown checkpoint
(xlog.c:6576)"

I am posting this question here because most casual users of
Postgres/Greenplum are telling me that database is hosed, but I think
that with pg_resetxlog and some
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/app-pgresetxlog.html) data
loss I could at least "hack" database to come back up.

What I am asking for help here is to help me calculate the reset
values - where to find the most recent valid one and how to
*specifically* calculate the reset ones.

Please advise,
Edmon

2012-06-12 13:16:18.614912
EDT                     p14611  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       mirror
transition,
primary address(port) 'boxgp10a(41001)' mirror address(port)
'boxgp02a(51001)'                                       mirroring role 'primary
role' mirroring state
'change tracking' segment state 'not initialized' process name(pid)
'filerep main process(14611)' filerep state 'not initialized'
                0               cdbfilerep.c    3371
2012-06-12 13:16:18.617047
EDT                     p14612  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0
CHANGETRACKING:
ChangeTracking_RetrieveIsTransitionToInsync() found
insync_transition_completed:'false' full
resync:'false'                                                  0
cdbresynchronizechangetracking.c        2522
2012-06-12 13:16:18.617113
EDT                     p14612  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0
CHANGETRACKING:
ChangeTracking_RetrieveIsTransitionToResync() found
resync_transition_completed:'false' full
resync:'false'                                                  0
cdbresynchronizechangetracking.c        2559
2012-06-12 13:16:18.746870
EDT                     p14612  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0
searching for last
checkpoint location for creating the initial resynchronize
changetracking                                                  0
xlog.c  10836
2012-06-12 13:16:18.747318
EDT                     p14612  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       record
with zero
length at 14/48000070                                                   0
        xlog.c  4182
2012-06-12 13:16:18.747491
EDT                     p14612  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       scanned
through 1
initial xlog records since last checkpoint for writing into the
resynchronize change log
0               cdbresynchronizechangetracking.c        206
2012-06-12 13:16:18.750830
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0
database system was
shut down at 2012-06-12 11:00:13 EDT
        0               xlog.c  6326
2012-06-12 13:16:18.750987
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0
checkpoint record is
at 14/48000020                                                  0
xlog.c  6425
2012-06-12 13:16:18.751016
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       redo
record is at
14/48000020; undo record is at 14/42AC2118; shutdown
TRUE                                                    0               xlog.c
6534
2012-06-12 13:16:18.751041
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       next
transaction ID:
0/4553423; next OID: 241771
0               xlog.c  6538
2012-06-12 13:16:18.751065
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   LOG     0       next
MultiXactId: 271;
next MultiXactOffset: 549
0               xlog.c  6541
2012-06-12 13:16:18.796637
EDT                     p14624  th802662304                             0
                seg-1                                   PANIC   XX000   invalid
redo/undo record in shutdown checkpoint
(xlog.c:6576)                                                   0
xlog.c  6576    "Stack trace:
1    0xa59f75 postgres errstart + 0x595
2    0x50f7ac postgres StartupXLOG + 0x1b8c
3    0x51778d postgres StartupProcessMain + 0x2fd
4    0x590746 postgres AuxiliaryProcessMain + 0x796
5    0x85fe54 postgres <symbol not found> + 0x85fe54
6    0x86003a postgres StartMasterOrPrimaryPostmasterProcesses + 0x3a
7    0x86ffaf postgres doRequestedPrimaryMirrorModeTransitions + 0xd9f
8    0x86bc4a postgres PostmasterMain + 0x1f8a
9    0x772bda postgres main + 0x4da
10   0x2af72ebc7994 libc.so.6 __libc_start_main + 0xf4
11   0x47bf49 postgres <symbol not found> + 0x47bf49