"D'Arcy Cain" <da...@druid.net> writes:
> On 12-06-23 08:21 AM, Dickson S. Guedes wrote:
>> Try in the search box of postgres doxygen documentation [1]..

> That's source, not documentation.  I already found it in the actual
> source files but that's not the same thing.  For one thing, if it
> isn't documented then it may not be meant to be exposed to the API.
> For another, without documentation we can't tell what is guaranteed
> to work and what is an implementation detail.

By and large, most of what you need to know to write C code for PG
is not in the SGML documentation.  I haven't seen any volunteers
stepping up to write another thousand or two pages of formal docs,
so that's how it's going to be for the foreseeable future.  You need
to be prepared to read the source code and especially to look at
existing examples such as the contrib modules.

As far as the "not guaranteed to work" angle is concerned, it's true,
we could decide to change that.  It's not very likely though: we do
try to avoid breaking things that we expect are in use by third-party
code, and anything that is in use by half a dozen contrib modules
certainly qualifies.  If you're thinking of doing something that you
don't see lots of precedents for in contrib or the core datatypes,
it would be reasonable to ask about it on -hackers first.