On 07/18/2012 03:18 PM, Merlin Moncure wrote:
On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 1:58 PM, Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net> wrote:
I'm chasing up an issue from a client who has this problem (in 9.1):

with q as
(
     some query here
)
select q.* from q

yields:

                    job_scope                   | checked_col
-----------------------------------------------+------------------------------------------
  Co Revenues: Co Revenues $100 to $999 Million | <input panel=data
type=checkbox checked>
  Metropolitan Area: Austin-Round Rock          | <input panel=data
type=checkbox checked>

which is as expected.

However,

with q as
(
     same query here
)
select q from q

yields:

  ("Co Revenues: Co Revenues $100 to $999 Million","<input panel=data
type=checkbox checked>",)
  ("Metropolitan Area: Austin-Round Rock","<input panel=data type=checkbox
checked>",)

Note the trailing comma inside the (), which certainly looks bogus to me. If
I replace "select q" with "select row(q.*)" it disappears.

It doesn't happen in all cases, and I'm trying to work out a minimal
reproducible example. But it sure is puzzling.
there are no null fields, right? if the last field is sometimes null
you'd see that (you probably ruled that out though).  when you say
'sometimes', do you mean for some rows and not others? or for some
queries?

No, the inner query has two fields.

It happens for all rows, but not for all two-field-resulting queries as q. I'm trying to find a simple case rather than the rather complex query my customer is using.

cheers

andrew