On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 20:34, Curt Sampson wrote:
> Ok, big bundled up reply here to various people.
>
> > From: Greg Copeland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > > What makes things more confusing is poor understanding of a feature, not
> > > the feature itself.
> >
> > Agreed.  Just because a feature may not be well understood by the masses
> > doesn't mean the feature is worthless.
>
> Yeah, but if it's not understood by fairly smart people familiar
> with both relational theory and OO programming? If the feature is
> confusing because it appears to be something it's not, that's a
> feature problem, not a problem with the people trying to understand
> it. Maybe all that's necessary to fix it is a terminology change,
> but even so....

You're constantly confusing Postgres' implementation with a "desired"
implementation.  Below, I think, is the effort to figure out exactly
what a "desired implementation" really is.

If a feature is partially implemented, of course it's going to be
confusing to use.

Let's please stop beating this horse Curt.  At this point, I think the
horse is floating upside down in a pond somewhere...yep...and the
buzzards are coming.

Please.  Beating people with a stick isn't suddenly going to make
everyone share your view point.

> > > All _simple_ inheritance problems are easily solved by simple relational
> > > solutions. The general problem of much more typing and debugging, less
> > > clues for optimiser etc. are not solved by _simple_ relational
> > > solutions.
> >
> > I agree with Hannu here.  Curt's comment seems like lip service.
>
> Well, as I said: examples please. Quite frankly, between the lack
> of a clear model of table inheritance (Hannu seems to have one,
> but this needs to be written up in unambiguous form and put into
> the postgres manual) and the bugs in the postgres implementation
> of table inheritance, I've found the relational model much easier
> to use for solving problems.

If you're so keen on examples, please provide one that justifies such a
boastful statement.  Hannu has done a pretty fair job of beating ya back
every time.  Personally, in this case, I don't really need examples are
it's pretty obvious a braggart statement full of bias.  So second
thought, perhaps we can let this one alone.

I do agree that it looks like Hannu is doing a fairly good job of
providing some constructive direction here.  Hannu, please keep up the
good work.  ;)

> > From: Oliver Elphick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >
> > On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 15:00, Greg Copeland wrote:
> > > How exactly would you create an abstract base class for table type?
> >
> > CREATE TABLE abstract_base (
> >    cols ...,
> >    CONSTRAINT "No data allowed in table abstract_base!" CHECK (1 = 0)
> > )
> >
> > This assumes that the constraint is not inherited or can be removed in
> > child tables.
>
> Are we then assuming that tuples in the child tables do not appear
> in the base table? That's more or less what I'd assumed when I
> originally heard about table inheritance (after all, instantiating
> a child object does not automatically instantiate a separate copy
> of the parent object), but the SQL standard, postgres, and I believe other
> systems make the exact opposite assumption.

That's actually my exact assumption...that is, that tuples in the parent
did not exist in the child.  Is that not true?  Can you point me to any