On Sat, Jul 28, 2012 at 06:11:21PM +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> Hello
>
> 2012/7/27 Tom Lane <t...@sss.pgh.pa.us>:
> > Pavel Stehule <pavel.steh...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> so why you get data from server, when you would not to use it ?
> >
> > Yeah.  I don't see why you'd be likely to write a select that computes
> > columns you don't actually want.
> >
> >> Tom - your proposal release of stored dataset just before next
> >> statement, not like now on the end of statement?
> >
> > Huh?  I think you'd assign the values to the variables and then PQclear
> > the result right away.
>
> yes - I didn't understand \g mechanism well.
>
> Here is patch - it is not nice at this moment and it is little bit
> longer than I expected - but it works
>
> It supports David's syntax
>
> postgres=# select 'Hello', 'World' \gset a,b
> postgres=# \echo :'a' :'b'
> 'Hello' 'World'
> postgres=# select 'Hello', 'World';
>  ?column? │ ?column?
> ──────────┼──────────
>  Hello    │ World
> (1 row)
>
> postgres=# \gset a
> to few target variables
> postgres=# \gset a,
> postgres=# \echo :'a'
> 'Hello'
>
> Regards
>
> Pavel

Teensy code cleanup (trailing space) and SGML docs added.

Cheers,
David.
--
David Fetter <da...@fetter.org> http://fetter.org/
Skype: davidfetter      XMPP: david.fet...@gmail.com

Remember to vote!
*** a/doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml
--- b/doc/src/sgml/ref/psql-ref.sgml
***************
*** 1489,1495 **** testdb=&gt;
          way. Use <command>\i</command> for that.) This means that
          if the query ends with (or contains) a semicolon, it is
          immediately executed. Otherwise it will merely wait in the
!         query buffer; type semicolon or <literal>\g</> to send it, or
          <literal>\r</> to cancel.
          </para>

--- 1489,1495 ----
          way. Use <command>\i</command> for that.) This means that
          if the query ends with (or contains) a semicolon, it is
          immediately executed. Otherwise it will merely wait in the
!         query buffer; type semicolon, <literal>\g</> or
<literal>\gset</literal> to send it, or
          <literal>\r</> to cancel.
          </para>

***************
*** 1623,1628 **** Tue Oct 26 21:40:57 CEST 1999
--- 1623,1640 ----
        </varlistentry>

        <varlistentry>
class="parameter">variable</replaceable> [ ,<replaceable
class="parameter">variable</replaceable> ... ] </term>
+
+         <listitem>
+         <para>
+         Sends the current query input buffer to the server and stores
+         the query's target list a corresponding list of psql
+         variables.
+         </para>
+         </listitem>
+       </varlistentry>
+
+       <varlistentry>
<replaceable class="parameter">command</replaceable> ]</literal></term>
          <listitem>
          <para>
*** a/src/bin/psql/command.c
--- b/src/bin/psql/command.c
***************
*** 748,753 **** exec_command(const char *cmd,
--- 748,776 ----
                status = PSQL_CMD_SEND;
        }

+       /* \gset send query and store result */
+       else if (strcmp(cmd, "gset") == 0)
+       {
+               bool    error;
+
+               pset.gvars = psql_scan_slash_vars(scan_state, &error);
+
+               if (!pset.gvars)
+               {
+                       psql_error("\\%s: missing required argument\n", cmd);
+                       status = PSQL_CMD_NOSEND;
+               }
+               else if (error)
+               {
+                       psql_error("\\%s: syntax error\n", cmd);
+                       status = PSQL_CMD_NOSEND;
+                       tglist_free(pset.gvars);
+                       pset.gvars = NULL;
+               }
+               else
+                       status = PSQL_CMD_SEND;
+       }
+
        /* help */
        else if (strcmp(cmd, "h") == 0 || strcmp(cmd, "help") == 0)
        {
*** a/src/bin/psql/command.h
--- b/src/bin/psql/command.h
***************
*** 16,21 **** typedef enum _backslashResult
--- 16,22 ----
  {
        PSQL_CMD_UNKNOWN = 0,           /* not done parsing yet (internal only)
*/
        PSQL_CMD_SEND,                          /* query complete; send off */
+       PSQL_CMD_NOSEND,                        /* query complete, don't send */
        PSQL_CMD_SKIP_LINE,                     /* keep building query */
        PSQL_CMD_TERMINATE,                     /* quit program */
        PSQL_CMD_NEWEDIT,                       /* query buffer was changed
(e.g., via \e) */
*** a/src/bin/psql/common.c
--- b/src/bin/psql/common.c
***************
*** 826,831 **** PrintQueryResults(PGresult *results)
--- 826,928 ----
        return success;
  }

+ /*
+  * StoreQueryResult: store first row of result to selected variables
+  *
+  * Note: Utility function for use by SendQuery() only.
+  *
+  * Returns true if the query executed sucessfully, false otherwise.
+  */
+ static bool
+ StoreQueryResult(PGresult *result)
+ {
+       bool success;
+
+       switch (PQresultStatus(result))
+       {
+               case PGRES_TUPLES_OK:
+                       {
+                               int     i;
+
+                               if (PQntuples(result) < 1)
+                               {
+                                       psql_error("no data found\n");
+                                       success = false;
+                               }
+                               else if (PQntuples(result) > 1)
+                               {
+                                       psql_error("too many rows\n");
+                                       success = false;
+                               }
+                               else
+                               {
+                                       TargetListData *iter = (TargetListData
*) pset.gvars;
+
+                                       success = true;
+
+                                       for (i = 0; i < PQnfields(result); i++)
+                                       {
+                                               if (!iter)
+                                               {
+                                                       psql_error("to few
target variables\n");
+                                                       success = false;
+                                                       break;
+                                               }
+
+                                               if (iter->name)
+                                               {
+                                                       if
(!SetVariable(pset.vars, iter->name,
+
   PQgetvalue(result, 0, i)))
+                                                       {
+
psql_error("invalid variable name: \"%s\"",
+
                        iter->name);
+                                                               success = false;
+                                                               break;
+                                                       }
+                                               }
+
+                                               iter = iter->next;
+                                       }
+
+                                       if (success && iter != NULL)
+                                       {
+                                               psql_error("too many target
variables\n");
+                                               success = false;
+                                       }
+                               }
+                       }
+                       break;
+
+               case PGRES_COMMAND_OK:
+               case PGRES_EMPTY_QUERY:
+                       psql_error("no data found\n");
+                       success = false;
+                       break;
+
+               case PGRES_COPY_OUT:
+               case PGRES_COPY_IN:
+                       psql_error("COPY isnot supported by \\gset command\n");
+                       success = false;
+                       break;
+
+               case PGRES_BAD_RESPONSE:
+               case PGRES_NONFATAL_ERROR:
+               case PGRES_FATAL_ERROR:
+                       success = false;
+                       break;
+
+               default:
+                       success = false;
+                       psql_error("unexpected PQresultStatus: %d\n",
+                                          PQresultStatus(result));
+                       break;
+       }
+
+       tglist_free(pset.gvars);
+       pset.gvars = NULL;
+
+       return success;
+ }

  /*
   * SendQuery: send the query string to the backend
***************
*** 953,959 **** SendQuery(const char *query)

                /* but printing results isn't: */
                if (OK && results)
!                       OK = PrintQueryResults(results);
        }
        else
        {
--- 1050,1061 ----

                /* but printing results isn't: */
                if (OK && results)
!               {
!                       if (pset.gvars)
!                               OK = StoreQueryResult(results);
!                       else
!                               OK = PrintQueryResults(results);
!               }
        }
        else
        {
***************
*** 1668,1670 **** expand_tilde(char **filename)
--- 1770,1822 ----

        return *filename;
  }
+
+
+ /*
+  * Add name of internal variable to query targer list
+  *
+  */
+ TargetList
+ tglist_add(TargetList tglist, const char *name)
+ {
+       TargetListData          *tgf;
+
+       tgf = pg_malloc(sizeof(TargetListData));
+       tgf->name = name ? pg_strdup(name) : NULL;
+       tgf->next = NULL;
+
+       if (tglist)
+       {
+               TargetListData *iter = (TargetListData *) tglist;
+
+               while (iter->next)
+                       iter = iter->next;
+
+               iter->next = tgf;
+
+               return tglist;
+       }
+       else
+               return (TargetList) tgf;
+ }
+
+ /*
+  * Release target list
+  *
+  */
+ void
+ tglist_free(TargetList tglist)
+ {
+       TargetListData *iter = (TargetListData *) tglist;
+
+       while (iter)
+       {
+               TargetListData *next = iter->next;
+
+               if (iter->name)
+                       free(iter->name);
+
+               free(iter);
+               iter = next;
+       }
+ }
*** a/src/bin/psql/common.h
--- b/src/bin/psql/common.h
***************
*** 21,26 ****
--- 21,34 ----

  #define atooid(x)  ((Oid) strtoul((x), NULL, 10))

+ typedef struct _target_field
+ {
+       char       *name;
+       struct _target_field *next;
+ } TargetListData;
+
+ typedef struct TargetListData *TargetList;
+
  /*
   * Safer versions of some standard C library functions. If an
   * out-of-memory condition occurs, these functions will bail out
***************
*** 63,66 **** extern const char *session_username(void);
--- 71,77 ----

  extern char *expand_tilde(char **filename);

+ extern TargetList  tglist_add(TargetList tglist, const char *name);
+ extern void tglist_free(TargetList tglist);
+
  #endif   /* COMMON_H */
*** a/src/bin/psql/help.c
--- b/src/bin/psql/help.c
***************
*** 162,174 **** slashUsage(unsigned short int pager)
  {
        FILE       *output;

!       output = PageOutput(94, pager);

        /* if you add/remove a line here, change the row count above */

        fprintf(output, _("General\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\copyright             show PostgreSQL usage and
distribution terms\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\g [FILE] or ;         execute query (and send
results to file or |pipe)\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\h [NAME]              help on syntax of SQL
commands, * for all commands\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\q                     quit psql\n"));
        fprintf(output, "\n");
--- 162,175 ----
  {
        FILE       *output;

!       output = PageOutput(95, pager);

        /* if you add/remove a line here, change the row count above */

        fprintf(output, _("General\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\copyright             show PostgreSQL usage and
distribution terms\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\g [FILE] or ;         execute query (and send
results to file or |pipe)\n"));
+       fprintf(output, _("  \\gset NAME [, NAME [..]] execute query and store
result in internal variables\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\h [NAME]              help on syntax of SQL
commands, * for all commands\n"));
        fprintf(output, _("  \\q                     quit psql\n"));
        fprintf(output, "\n");
*** a/src/bin/psql/mainloop.c
--- b/src/bin/psql/mainloop.c
***************
*** 327,332 **** MainLoop(FILE *source)
--- 327,340 ----
                                        /* flush any paren nesting info after
forced send */
                                        psql_scan_reset(scan_state);
                                }
+                               else if (slashCmdStatus == PSQL_CMD_NOSEND)
+                               {
+                                       resetPQExpBuffer(query_buf);
+                                       /* reset parsing state since we are
rescanning whole line */
+                                       psql_scan_reset(scan_state);
+                                       line_saved_in_history = true;
+                                       success = false;
+                               }
                                else if (slashCmdStatus == PSQL_CMD_NEWEDIT)
                                {
                                        /* rescan query_buf as new input */
*** a/src/bin/psql/psqlscan.h
--- b/src/bin/psql/psqlscan.h
***************
*** 8,13 ****
--- 8,14 ----
  #ifndef PSQLSCAN_H
  #define PSQLSCAN_H

+ #include "common.h"
  #include "pqexpbuffer.h"

  #include "prompt.h"
***************
*** 33,39 **** enum slash_option_type
        OT_SQLIDHACK,                           /* SQL identifier, but don't
downcase */
        OT_FILEPIPE,                            /* it's a filename or pipe */
        OT_WHOLE_LINE,                          /* just snarf the rest of the
line */
!       OT_NO_EVAL                                      /* no expansion of
backticks or variables */
  };

--- 34,41 ----
        OT_SQLIDHACK,                           /* SQL identifier, but don't
downcase */
        OT_FILEPIPE,                            /* it's a filename or pipe */
        OT_WHOLE_LINE,                          /* just snarf the rest of the
line */
!       OT_NO_EVAL,                                     /* no expansion of
backticks or variables */
!       OT_VARLIST                              /* returns variable's
identifier or comma */
  };

***************
*** 59,64 **** extern char *psql_scan_slash_option(PsqlScanState state,
--- 61,70 ----
                                           char *quote,
                                           bool semicolon);

+ extern TargetList psql_scan_slash_vars(PsqlScanState state,
+                                                       bool *error);
+
+
  extern void psql_scan_slash_command_end(PsqlScanState state);

  #endif   /* PSQLSCAN_H */
*** a/src/bin/psql/psqlscan.l
--- b/src/bin/psql/psqlscan.l
***************
*** 106,118 **** static char *option_quote;
  static int    unquoted_option_chars;
  static int    backtick_start_offset;

  /* Return values from yylex() */
  #define LEXRES_EOL                    0       /* end of input */
  #define LEXRES_SEMI                   1       /* command-terminating
semicolon found */
! #define LEXRES_BACKSLASH      2       /* backslash command start */
! #define LEXRES_OK                     3       /* OK completion of backslash
argument */
!

  int   yylex(void);

--- 106,123 ----
  static int    unquoted_option_chars;
  static int    backtick_start_offset;

+ TargetList gvars;
+

  /* Return values from yylex() */
  #define LEXRES_EOL                    0       /* end of input */
  #define LEXRES_SEMI                   1       /* command-terminating
semicolon found */
! #define LEXRES_COMMA                  2
! #define LEXRES_BACKSLASH      3       /* backslash command start */
! #define LEXRES_IDENT                  4       /* valid internal variable
identifier */
! #define LEXRES_OK                     5       /* OK completion of backslash
argument */
! #define LEXRES_ERROR                  6
! #define LEXRES_NONE                   7

  int   yylex(void);

***************
*** 167,172 **** static void escape_variable(bool as_ident);
--- 172,178 ----
   *  <xdolq> $foo$ quoted strings
   *  <xui> quoted identifier with Unicode escapes
   *  <xus> quoted string with Unicode escapes
+  *  <xvl> comma separated list of variables
   *
   * Note: we intentionally don't mimic the backend's <xeu> state; we have
   * no need to distinguish it from <xe> state, and no good way to get out
***************
*** 183,188 **** static void escape_variable(bool as_ident);
--- 189,195 ----
  %x xdolq
  %x xui
  %x xus
+ %x xvl
  /* Additional exclusive states for psql only: lex backslash commands */
  %x xslashcmd
  %x xslashargstart
***************
*** 628,633 **** other                  .
--- 635,660 ----
                                        ECHO;
                                }

+ <xvl>{
+
+ {identifier}  {
+                                       gvars = tglist_add(gvars, yytext);
+                                       return LEXRES_IDENT;
+                               }
+
+ ","           {
+                                       return LEXRES_COMMA;
+                               }
+
+ {horiz_space}+        { }
+
+ . |
+ \n            {
+                                       return LEXRES_ERROR;
+                               }
+
+ }
+
  {xufailed}    {
                                        /* throw back all but the initial u/U */
                                        yyless(1);
***************
*** 1449,1454 **** psql_scan_slash_command(PsqlScanState state)
--- 1476,1550 ----
  }

  /*
+  * returns identifier from identifier list
+  *
+  *    when comma_expected is true, when we require comma before identifier
+  *    error is true, when unexpected char was identified or missing
+  *        comma.
+  *
+  */
+ TargetList
+ psql_scan_slash_vars(PsqlScanState state,
+                                               bool *error)
+ {
+       PQExpBufferData mybuf;
+       int                     lexresult = LEXRES_NONE;
+       int             lexresult_prev;
+       bool    is_lexer_error = false;
+
+
+       /* Must be scanning already */
+       psql_assert(state->scanbufhandle);
+
+       /* Set up static variables that will be used by yylex */
+       cur_state = state;
+       output_buf = &mybuf;
+
+       if (state->buffer_stack != NULL)
+               yy_switch_to_buffer(state->buffer_stack->buf);
+       else
+               yy_switch_to_buffer(state->scanbufhandle);
+
+       gvars = NULL;
+
+       do
+       {
+               lexresult_prev = lexresult;
+
+               BEGIN(xvl);
+               lexresult = yylex();
+
+               /* read to end */
+               if (is_lexer_error)
+                       continue;
+
+               if (lexresult == LEXRES_ERROR)
+               {
+                       is_lexer_error = true;
+                       continue;
+               }
+
+               if (lexresult_prev == LEXRES_IDENT && lexresult == LEXRES_IDENT)
+               {
+                       is_lexer_error = true;
+                       continue;
+               }
+
+               if (!is_lexer_error && (lexresult_prev == LEXRES_COMMA ||
lexresult_prev == LEXRES_NONE)
+                               && lexresult == LEXRES_COMMA)
+                       gvars = tglist_add(gvars, NULL);
+
+       } while (lexresult != LEXRES_EOL);
+
+       if (!is_lexer_error && lexresult_prev == LEXRES_COMMA)
+               gvars = tglist_add(gvars, NULL);
+
+       *error = is_lexer_error;
+
+       return gvars;
+ }
+
+ /*
   * Parse off the next argument for a backslash command, and return it as a
   * malloc'd string.  If there are no more arguments, returns NULL.
   *
*** a/src/bin/psql/settings.h
--- b/src/bin/psql/settings.h
***************
*** 9,14 ****
--- 9,15 ----
  #define SETTINGS_H

+ #include "common.h"
  #include "variables.h"
  #include "print.h"

***************
*** 73,78 **** typedef struct _psqlSettings
--- 74,80 ----
        printQueryOpt popt;

        char       *gfname;                     /* one-shot file output
argument for \g */
+       TargetList  gvars;                      /* one-shot target list
argument for \gset */

        bool            notty;                  /* stdin or stdout is not a tty
(as determined
                                                                 * on startup)
*/
*** a/src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c
--- b/src/bin/psql/tab-complete.c
***************
*** 811,817 **** psql_completion(char *text, int start, int end)
                "\\dF", "\\dFd", "\\dFp", "\\dFt", "\\dg", "\\di", "\\dl",
"\\dL",
                "\\dn", "\\do", "\\dp", "\\drds", "\\ds", "\\dS", "\\dt",
"\\dT", "\\dv", "\\du",
                "\\e", "\\echo", "\\ef", "\\encoding",
!               "\\f", "\\g", "\\h", "\\help", "\\H", "\\i", "\\ir", "\\l",
                "\\lo_import", "\\lo_export", "\\lo_list", "\\lo_unlink",
                "\\o", "\\p", "\\password", "\\prompt", "\\pset", "\\q",
"\\qecho", "\\r",
--- 811,817 ----
"\\dL",
                "\\e", "\\echo", "\\ef", "\\encoding",