On 09.08.2012 14:11, Simon Riggs wrote:
Given the marginal gain because of a low percentage of cross-block
updates, I'm not keen. Low percentage because HOT tries hard to keep
things on same block - even for non-HOT updates (which is the case,
even though it sounds weird).

That depends entirely on the workload. If you do a bulk update that updates every row on the table, most are going to be cross-block updates, and the WAL size does matter.

But then again, full-page writes cover that too. There
will be a full-page image of the old block in the WAL anyway.

Right, but we're planning to remove that, so its not a safe assumption
to use when building new code.

I don't think we're going to get rid of full-page images any time soon. I guess you could easily check if full-page writes are enabled, though, and only do it for cross-page updates if it is.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas