On 8/10/12 7:12 PM, Doug Coleman wrote:
What it looks like is the first line of each section is pattern matching.

If __LP64__ is defined, then it's a 64-bit architecture, and we want
to use the top part of the if statement. The #defines they target seem
to be all of the ones that are different on 32bit platforms.

I agree that you would want to do this in the configure script somehow.

That's not going to work. The configure script can only test one target at a time. You can probably get away with it on many simple programs, but when a configure script checks size and alignment of types, the whole concept of universal builds is at odds with the approach Autoconf takes. OK, so you get away with it by patching up a few sites, but you're effectively overriding the configure checks with hardcoded results.

I think the only sane approach in general is to build the entire project twice and merge the resulting binaries together.