On Wed, 2012-08-29 at 22:23 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
Where are we on building the development docs more frequently?
Still waiting for details on how it works to set that up on the
buildfarm client.
Where are we on this?
Waiting on Andrew.

As far as I can see, we need to update the machine to release 4.7, and
then install a "skip file" or something like that.  Andrew, can you
please explain how is that to be used?  I don't see it documented
anywhere.
Why does this need to be tied into the build farm?  Someone can surely
set up a script that just runs the docs build at every check-in, like it
used to work.  What's being proposed now just sounds like a lot of
complication for little or no actual gain -- net loss in fact.

It doesn't just build the docs. It makes the dist snapshots too. And the old script often broke badly, IIRC. The current setup doesn't install anything if the build fails, which is a distinct improvement. And you can see the causes of any failure via the buildfarm logs.

But I don't really have any stake in this, I just created a tiny Module to help Magnus do what he wanted.

In answer to Alvaro's question, you can disable most steps via a command line switch --skip-steps, the value of which is a space separated list of names. I haven't documented it mainly because it was really developed for use in development. The allowed values are:

   install
   make
   make-doc
   install