Hello Tom,

On 30/08/12 13:23, Tom Lane wrote:
> Joe Abbate <j...@freedomcircle.com> writes:
>> Hmmm ... Well, I'm just doing the same thing as pg_dump, which in 9.2rc1
>> still outputs the same as before, namely:
>
> Well, evidently you're *not* doing the same thing as pg_dump.

I meant that the Pyrseas dbtoyaml's output is essentially the same as
pg_dump, e.g.,

schema public:
  operator +(NONE, text):
    procedure: upper

Therefore, if psql doesn't have problem restoring the operator from the
pg_dump output, neither should yamltodb have problem generating the SQL
to recreate the operator.  The above YAML (with or without the schema
qualification) does generate the correct SQL and pg_operator.oprcode
ends up with the correct OID.  So at least for this test case,
dbtoyam/yamltodb is not broken (but I'll have to do something about the
unittest difference).

> What's physically in there is an OID (and so the casts above are no-ops
> at the representational level).  What we're discussing is the behavior
> of the output function for the regproc or regprocedure types.

Yes, I suspected that an OID was stored.  What I'd still quibble with is
the use of the ambiguous regproc in pg_operator (also pg_type) and the
still-ambiguous schema-qualified proc name.  I guess it's not feasible
(at least, short term), but it'd be preferable to store a "raw" OID and
let the user cast to regprocedure (or change the 'regproc' to
'regprocedure').

Best regards,

Joe