On 09/02/2012 11:53 PM, Gurjeet Singh wrote:
On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Andrew Dunstan <and...@dunslane.net <mailto:and...@dunslane.net>> wrote:

    The attached patch is what I had to do to get pg_upgrade's "make
    check" to run on Windows under Mingw. Mostly the changes have to
    do with getting paths right between Windows and MSys, or calling
    generated .bat files instead of shell scripts.

When reading shell script code like this

`uname -a | sed 's/.* //'` = Msys

and

sed -i -e 's,/,\\,g' -e 's,\\s\\q ,/s/q ,' delete_old_cluster.bat 2>/dev/null

I find it easier to understand and maintain if the comments also describe what is the original string format that this pattern-matching expects, like:

# We expect `uname -a` output like:
#  Windows_NT4.0 Msys

and

# We expect lines of the format:
#   abc/xyz/def/
# and we convert them to
#  abc\xyz\def

BTW, would `uname -o` eliminate the need of pattern matching in the first snippet? The Wikipedia [1] article suggests so.

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uname

Yeah it would. This wasn't intended as a final patch anyway, just as notice of what I actually had working in case anyone else wanted to try.

cheers

andrew